The Mayan Civilization inhabited five states in the south east of Mexico: Campeche, Chiapas, Quintana Roo, Tabasco and Yucatán; and four countries in Central America: Guatemala, Belize, Honduras and El Salvador.
This culture is of great importance thanks to its scientific, mathematic and astronomic legacy. Contrary to popular belief the Mayan civilization never “disappeared” completely, since its descendants still live in the region and many of them speak Mayan.
The most notable relics are the monumental constructions and impressive pyramids they built in their religious centres. Chichén-Itzá, which in the Mayan tongue means “on the edge of the well of the Itzáes” is the most important archaeological site in the Yucatan Peninsula and one of the most representative relics of the Mayan culture.
In 1988 the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) named this archaeological site a World Heritage site and 9 year later, in 2007, it was voted one of the Seven New Wonders of the World by millions of people around the world. It is located 193 kilometers from Cancun.
There are many important archaeological ruins, such as Cobá, Xcaret and Ek Balam among others.
- Cancun is an ideal destination for golfers, with 14 beautiful courses surrounded by beautiful, natural landscapes of white sand and lush jungle, with the turquoise Caribbean water in the background.
- The golf courses were designed by important designers such as Robert Trent Jones, Jr., Jack Nicklaus, Robert von Hagge and Greg Norman.
- Cancun has hosted a PGA Tour Classic (Professional Golf Association) and is a world class golf destination.
SHOPPING & FASHION
- There are more than 6 large shopping malls, with stores offering duty free prices.
- Each mall has more than 100 commercial establishments.
- Tourists enjoy the benefit of having their taxes returned to them, through TAX BACK.
- Additionally VAT in Quintana Roo state is only 11%, compared to 16% in the rest of the country.
- Cancun has a wide selection of cuisines: from casual cafés and beach bars offering refreshing drinks, to luxurious and exclusive restaurants offering international cuisine.
- Typical “Mexican snacks” and the traditional flavor of Yucatecan food are outstanding, and please the most demanding palates.
- Cancun is very cosmopolitan, with chefs from all over the world managing hotel and restaurant kitchens: international food, fine cuts, nouvelle cuisine, fusion food and fresh seafood are part of the variety.
- One of the main attractions in Cancun is its nightlife, another very safe activity. You can find the most electrifying and modern night clubs with different shows each night, world class DJ´s, live music and spectacular performances.